From the Head
Welcome to Manlius Pebble Hill School!
In my first year as head of school, I am in “exploration” mode just like you. And at MPH, there is a lot to explore!
On our website, you will certainly find helpful information as you begin the process of learning more about our school and the distinctive education and life experience we offer our students. And while I trust that your online research will be fruitful, I hope you will schedule a visit with us to gain a first-hand appreciation for what makes MPH such a special community.
When you spend even part of a day on campus, you will likely be inspired by some of the people you’ll meet and by the intellectually vibrant and naturally engaging education that takes place at MPH every day. This is a school that honors, respects, and celebrates every member of the community, and we are in the very fortunate position to create and support an environment for our educators that results in a much more personal learning experience for our students.
But don’t take my word for it, come see for yourself! I promise you’ll be warmly welcomed; we enjoy having guests join us on campus. And depending on your customized MPH tour, you may well witness…
- Pre-Kindergarteners engaged in a science experiment, hypothesizing about the number of seeds in a cut apple.
- Middle School technology students printing 3-D versions of their own digitally created artwork.
- Eleventh-grade forensics students studying DNA evidence to solve a classroom-staged crime, and interviewing faculty as possible suspects.
- Curious Lower Schoolers discovering indigenous plant species in our newly created outdoor learning environment, the STEAM Park.
- Our youngest learners eager to get “high fives” from their Upper School peers as they share the hallways in our unique, familial educational community.
At MPH, we appreciate and value the benefits of our diverse community, where we work together to create a culture of compassion, respect, and support for one and all. This aspect of our education is rooted in relationships, and it begins with our talented and dedicated educators. At MPH, faculty roles extend far beyond ordinary classroom instruction. Our teachers eat lunch with students daily, advise a wide variety of student-inspired clubs, and are available for one-on-one help before and after school. They also serve as role models, mentors, coaches — and in whatever other ways they can to support the developing students, artists, athletes, and citizens in their care. The quality and commitment of our faculty is our School’s greatest strength.
I encourage you to schedule a visit and experience the MPH community for yourself, and I look forward to saying hello!
David J. McCusker
Head of School